Not happy with the first pieces I cut for the male chest, I re-cut new ones with sharper detail lines. About to assemble them now and then I’ll start on the back.
This entry was posted on July 12, 2010 by evilfx. It was filed under Costume Builds .
Great job! I used craft foam last year for a GI Joe Duke costume and I was happy with the outcome but after seeing your build, I am blown away. Question, I saw that you used a dremel to smooth out edges and such, but to create the line details and grooves, what did you use? Did you use a soldering iron to groove them out? And to curve your pieces you heated it? Thanks so much in advance.
December 30, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Is there anyway I could get the male Shepard template? Thanks!
April 27, 2011 at 6:57 am
I have tried using a Dremel to cut details in EVA but I find that it bucks and pulls quite a bit. As far as I can tell I use the same drill bits as you show in photos for this build. The results don’t ever look as smooth as the ones you have made. How do you smooth them? Do you use a finer grit? Do you use the Dremel on fast or slow speed? My Dremel lines also don’t follow the lines on my templates as well as yours look like they do. Do you have any tips?
February 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm
Practice,.. and watch my Skyrim sword build videos, they show a few tips on dremiling.
February 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm
Still amazed by your patience and your carving skills. I have tried a woodburner/hot knife on some sample foam and was impressed with how good it works. Question on the male chest piece – In your early prototype photo you seem to have more layers or pieces than you do on this post. Did you change the design. It seems the “wing flaps” on the wider piece also grew wider on this version? Can you elaborate on that. Also on the earlier post it looks like the lines were done by burning in (they are black) but here it looks grey so I assume you switched to dremel method? I would be curious if that’s the decision you made and why? Thanks!
March 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Yes and yes, if you read thru all the posts on the build you can see where I changed the amount of chest layers and switched to dremil cutting the lines rather than burning them to get a cleaner line.
March 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of follow-up comments via email.
Blog at WordPress.com. | The Modularity Lite Theme.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 82 other followers