Day 9: I got the rest of the torso harness finished and installed. Shoulder straps, collar attachments and crotch. Shoulder armor almost completed now. Only need to cut in the details.
Next up is the bicep, elbow and forearms.
Day 10: First test fitting. I detailed the shoulders, added another piece of strapping to the bottom of the shoulder plates to secure them on the arms, and finished the biceps. Still need to do some work on the elbows.
Next will be the forearms.
Day 11: Got most of the forearms done. Still some detailing and strapping to finish.
Just listed one of my special Guyver Helmets on Ebay. This one is unlike any others, based on an insect / reptilian theme and the only one I shall ever make like it.
What does this have to do with my N7 Armor build? Costumes take money to make and sometimes you have to sacrifice one project to fund another. So go bid on it already and help fund the N7 Armor!
I wasn’t able to get as much finished in the last 24 hours as I would have liked. While I may have Macgyver like skills with hot glue and floor mats, one of the purest and oldest costume making skills still eludes me to this day. Sewing.
I suck at sewing, did I mention that? (My idea of sewing is that tape you iron) Anyhow, just hand sewing the elastic harness to the clips and hardware took me the better part of the evening. I’m using heavy duty elastic, nylon strapping and Velcro to harness the armor together, so a little thick for machine sewing. (plus the sewing machine scares me) So after stabbing myself for several hours I have all the harness for the torso sewn but still have to install some of it, which I’m doing right now. Shoulder armor delayed until tomorrow.
Using double sided Velcro as the strapping here, which can be adjusted to size. Since the bands themselves are Velcro I can later create a panel that simply sticks on to encase and cover up the strapping, making the breast plate seem as one continuous piece from front to back.
Also spent a while today doing an email interview of sorts for a video game blog site.
Featured news story now on http://www.ripten.com/
Video showing the completed back of the female N7 Armor. Nothing fancy yet, just raw video showing the lighting and progress thus far.
Tonight I will be making the strapping/harness and starting on the Shoulder armor.
Day 7: Other than painting and attaching some strapping, the back torso is finished.
For the lighting on the shoulder blades I am using some simple sets of battery operated Christmas lights, 30 LED’s total. (powered by 4 AA’s) To install them I simply used an ice pick to puncture holes into the foam where the lights should go. Then I just push the LED’s through the rear of the piece. I then took some semi opaque tubing and cut it to form a cover that fit down over the lights. Using a transparent stain I painted the tubing the correct color. (may still put on another coat to even the color out a little) For the center ring and lower light strip on the tail bone I used about 3 foot of EL wire. (powered by a 9 volt)
The battery packs are stored inside the center piece on the back. Power stitches are easily accessible at the top opening where it joins with the collar.
I attached the abdomen to the chest plate making it one piece. The collar and lower spine were attached to the back plate making it one piece. The torso will basically be 2 shell pieces that snap together at the shoulders, ribs and crotch.
Didn’t quite get to the lighting yet, sculpting the plating for the back took a little longer than I thought, but they came out great. Most of the back is built now, still some detailing and polishing work to do on the center piece. Parts are not yet attached, just placed in position for the photos. LED’s and EL wire needs to be installed before attaching.
Back/shoulder blade pattern, raw cut piece, and almost finished being sculpted/sanded.
Parts laid into place.
1. You said you dremel the edges of the foam? Are you coating the foam in something or just leaving it as is? Its hard to picture sanding down plain foam…
2. Related to #1, do you seal the foam before you paint?
3. What kind of heat gun do you use?
1 & 2. Yes, I use a dremil with different tips depending on what I am doing, but these are my most used tips in general:
For sanding, beveling and smoothing the edges
Cutting the detail lines
If its a large flat surface area that needs sanding I will even use sandpaper and/or a sanding block on it.
Since I am actually using the rubber coated underside or back of the foam as the front this time I wont have to do much sealing. I can paint the rubber side with no problems. The only time that the foam side of the foam needs to be sealed is if you are going to paint it. On past builds I have tried different things to seal it, Krylon clear coat, Modge Podge, Craft sealants, glues, etc. All seem to work ok but still haven’t found anything that works really well. One of the guys I know who makes foam suits used rubber shoe glue to seal the foam, (diluted to about 50% and sprayed or brushed on) but I have yet to try this method.
3. I use a Heavy duty Black & Decker w/2 heat settings. (using mostly high heat)